Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Girl in a Boys' World


One of my favorite things about being in a sorority is the sisterhood among all the women in the house. It’s not often that you can put 100 girls in one room and see so much happiness and love. In school, however, I face a very different reality. As a mathematics and economics double major I am surrounded mostly by boys. Sure, there are some other girls in my classes, but the majority of my classmates are boys. In my Econometrics class of 17 students, only 4 of them were girls. Going from a house of 100% girls to a class of less than 25% girls is quite the switch for me. Sometimes this is a struggle, but being in a sorority has prepared me to excel in the classroom.

Every day, my sisters remind me of my true worth and value through their words and actions. From compliments on my outfit to choosing me for leadership positions, my sisters have helped me to build up my confidence. This strong confidence enables me to speak up in class even when I fear looking stupid as one of only a handful of girls in a classroom full of boys. I get so much more out of my classes when I actively participate, so having the confidence to raise my hand has invaluable long-term effects for me.


Have you ever tried to make 100 unique and strong-headed girls agree on something? I bet you have if you’ve ever been in a sorority. Working in groups is not always easy, but it is often essential. Group projects have come up in many of my classes, but I feel better able to tackle the hurdles as a member of a sorority. I know when to take charge and when to step back. I also know how to listen to a variety of options as well as how to delegate tasks. These skills are preparing me for a very successful future where I will most definitely have to work in more groups.


When freshman year rolled around I was beyond nervous about going through sorority recruitment, but I have never regretted it since day one. Similarly, I am extremely nervous about entering the male-dominated economics field. But I now have the courage to take the leap. I don’t know where my career will lead, but I do know that I would regret never at least trying. Who knows, I could even be the first female economist to win the Nobel Prize in economics. Being a member of a sorority has helped me to realize my true potential. I’m not about to limit myself just because there’s a few more boys in the room.

Does anyone else plan on entering a male-dominated field after college? Do you ever get nervous?

No comments:

Post a Comment