Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Rekindling the Spark for Your Sisterhood


I fell in love on September 9th, 2012. It wasn’t with some silly boy, but instead with a purpose and a group of individuals that would carry me so much further than I ever thought possible.
          
None of us knew it would be like this. The racing of the heart, the constant smiling, and the warmth that starts at your toes and spreads through your entire body. We didn’t know that love would come so quickly and hit so hard, even for those of us who often keep our guard up. However, when we opened our letters and ran to that group of screaming sisters, we knew deep down that this love would be different and life changing.

love animated GIF

           This past semester, I’ve said more than once how much I wish I were a new member in my organization again. Being a “baby squirrel”, as we call it in my chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta, was one of the best times in my life.
           As a new member, it was so easy to love everything. It was all so new and I went to everything. I met all of these interesting and full of life people that were both in my own organization and out of it. I wore my little puffy painted letters with pride, and once I was initiated, I took every chance I could to wear stitched letters and our crest. It was heaven. The early morning events and late night social events were my happy place. Nothing really mattered outside of my sisterhood anymore.

excited animated GIF
           However, by sophomore year I was a full time student, working two jobs, a member of Executive Council, and balancing multiple types of relationships. I was burning the candle at both ends, and eventually it all caught up to me.

bridesmaids animated GIF
It happens. So, if you are reading this and thinking “Oh no. What am I doing? I’m so tired and so busy and I just really want to take a nap but also I need a snack, etc.,” don’t panic. You’re going to make it. It’s easy to get burnt out, even on sisterhood. Anyone who tells you that’s not true is either the world’s best college student/sorority girl or a really gifted storyteller.
So, before you start to crawl into a hole and avoid the world completely, take a deep breath. This too shall pass. Take a step back from everything. This is just another moment. What you need to ask yourself isn’t what it is that is important to you, but why is it important?
baby animated GIF

My sisterhood supports me. My sisters are my people. They are the living reminder of my purpose. They are my 12 AM Taco Bell dates and my voices of reason, but that doesn’t mean that it’s always easy to remember.
Remember that with even great love can come some pain. It’s not easy balancing relationships with 100 or so girls, your family, and other friends. It’s not easy trying to always be a leader for a group of people when you don’t even know what you’re doing with your own life. It’s not easy accepting the outcome of some events. And it’s not easy learning how to be the bigger person and accept what you are dealt in life.
bridesmaids animated GIF

However, that’s what makes it special. If your spark is dwindling, remind yourself that you didn’t join your sisterhood for the cute merchandise and photo ops. You joined for the moments. The moments where you spent 30+ hours crafting for Lip Sync and Bid Day and at the end you all just end up in a pile of tutus laughing and crying. The moments where you text a sister you may not be the closest to just because you know they need some support. These are those moments that start a new fire.
Don’t let the stress of doing everything at once blow out your flame. Let it kindle it.
So if you’re struggling and if you’re wondering where that new member type of love you once had went, know that it’s not gone. It’s just bigger than you thought. Focus on the times that are going to pull you out of a slump.

happy animated GIF

You can’t rekindle a love by walking away. What you can do is take a step back, take a deep breath, and remind yourself of those moments that make it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment