Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Disaffiliation Is A Lot Harder Than I Thought








This summer and upcoming fall, I have to disaffiliate/disassociate myself from my sorority because I have the opportunity to be a rho gamma in this year's recruitment. 


Let me tell you, during my interview they asked me if I will have any trouble from disaffiliation considering that I have to showcase an unbiased opinion. I told the interviewers, "I can disaffiliate easily. It can't be that hard because it's only the summer. And I'll busy myself, so I don't think there's a chance I'll see them in public anyways." 

I was wrong. 

It was a long and tedious process to hide my photos and privatize every social media account I had. Thankfully, there were loopholes where I can still talk to my sisters with texting but it was like I was creating a forbidden relationship with my own chapter.  

When some girls wanted to hang out with me, we actually had to think logistically because of a possible potential new member spotting my sister in her srat gear. Then there was moments in group outings where sisters would take photos for PR, and I was either the photographer or the girl awkwardly watching from the sidelines. 

I can walk on campus and see my sister but I can't open wave to them or hug them. I literally have to look the other way or not make eye contact with them. It has turned to a point where any type of public communication is literally not allowed with us!

There are definite pluses to disaffiliation because I am able to meet a whole range of amazing girls from different chapters and I can focus on the new members during recruitment. While disaffiliation seems hard right now, I find it hopeful because then I can start running back into my sisters's arms and proudly wear my letters again. 

2 comments:

  1. My big was a rho gamma. It was so hard not to post photos of us or call her my big. In the end I know that she loved the responsibility. Props to you for helping girls find their home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa! It will be so hard to be in front of my chapter's room and not sing along haha

    ReplyDelete