Monday, November 3, 2014

Sisterhood Is...

    

During recruitment, one of the most common questions we ask PNMs is "what does sisterhood mean to you?"  It's one of those questions that we use to help evaluate why someone is going through recruitment. It is also one of those questions that when a PNM asks us the same thing, we give a sugar coated answer 9 times out of 10. We don't lie per se but we also don't talk about the no perfect side of sisterhood. My PNM answer to this question is:


Sisterhood is a lifelong bond between me and all the girls in this room. We are there for each other in any situation. My sisters love me for who I am and don't want me to change. They are all my best friends and will be my future bridesmaids. 
       

None of that is wrong however it isn't completely true. Not all of my sisters are my best friends. There is certainly a list of sisters within my chapter that would get the first phone calls when I need help before I reached out to people who aren't my sister. Here is my real life answer to "what does sisterhood mean to you?" 


Sisterhood is a lifelong bond between a group of women. It is the smiles and the tears. It is the laughing and the yelling. It is being in the middle of a fight but when your sister says she needs you dropping everything to go comfort her. It is wiping someone's face and holding their hair when they are sick. My sisters won't all be my bridesmaids but they will be the first people to know (behind my family) that I'm getting married. I know all of my sisters names but I don't talk to all of my sisters. My sisters aren't all my best friends but they all could call on me for help and I'd do whatever I could to be there for them. 



Every now and then I think it's important to really think about (and share with your sisters) what does sisterhood mean to you?

I would love to know what sisterhood means to you so please let me know in the comments! 

2 comments:

  1. Sonia! I love this post! It is so true that sisterhood is so so so much deeper than what it appears to be on the surface!

    ReplyDelete