Monday, March 30, 2015

Philanthropy Spotlight - Alpha Gamma Delta Is Striking Out Diabetes



It’s 5 in the morning and my alarm has already started to sound way sooner than I would like for it to. As I pick up my phone, the light from the screen make me squint my eyes as I search the weather. Nothing like a 40 degree morning to really make you want to be outside all day.

       However, as I crawl from beneath my warm blankets and drag myself to my closet, I can’t help but feel a sense of excitement. Today’s the day of the Alpha Gamma Delta Softball Tournament. It’s our biggest philanthropy event of the year, and it never disappoints.

       Every year, the Theta Lambda chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta at the University of West Florida holds a softball tournament to raise money for the American Diabetes Association. This past month, we held our fifth annual tournament and had eleven teams compete.


       The teams have a choice of playing single or double elimination. Players pay a registration fee, and all teams must have at least two girls on the field at all times. The teams also get lunch and T-Shirts if they choose to do so. It’s a pretty sweet deal.

       The ladies of Alpha Gamma Delta hold philanthropy as a high priority. Our philanthropy focuses on the American Diabetes Association in order to help spread awareness and education about diabetes.


       This year, we were able to raise over $5,000 from the event, and it was all thanks to our sponsors, participants, and the hard work of our sisters.
       
At the event, sisters do everything from checking in the teams and taking pictures (thanks Jazz) to flipping burgers on the grill. There are even sisters who act as umpires, scorekeepers, and cheerleaders for all of the teams involved.

The event takes the teamwork and support of all of our members. Each girl is responsible for her own task at the tournament, but most importantly, it is our job to make sure that everyone has a great time and remembers the real meaning behind the event: philanthropy


Teams come from all over the campus. Honors students, Collegiate 100, fraternities and sororities, and just groups of friends all make teams to come out and have some fun. The winners of the event also receive a check that goes to their own philanthropy of choice. 

This year, the gentlemen of Pi Kappa Alpha took home the big win. Congrats again boys!

The ladies of Alpha Gam are always striving to help others. It’s part of our purpose and something we all feel strongly about. The Softball tournament is one of our favorite events, and we can’t wait to Strike Out Diabetes again next year!







1 comment:

  1. Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming
    over again to read other news.

    My webpage pontos para o beat maker 2

    ReplyDelete